Some ForeFlight customers have reported problems with iOS 6 and their external GPS devices (like DUAL or Bad Elf). After upgrading to iOS 6, some customers are not seeing location information inside ForeFlight Mobile or other apps when using these devices. However, the GPS devices appear to work fine when using the hardware maker’s own app, as their apps access the device via a different mechanism.
If you are running iOS6 and encounter a problem with your external GPS device, please try these steps:
- Go to the main iPad Settings app.
- Tap on “Privacy”.
- Tap on “Location Services”.
- Toggle the top row to “Off”. This will turn off location services for all of your apps.
- Reboot your iPad (press-and-hold the top button for 5 seconds, slide the red slider to power off, wait 5 seconds, then press the top button to turn your iPad back on).
- Go back to Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services and turn location services to “On” for your iPad. Also make sure that location services are set to “On” for ForeFlight Mobile.
- Leave your iPad connected the Internet for a few hours (the screen can be off). This might not be necessary, but we have encountered a few rare cases where this fixed the problem.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Filed under: Bulletin